Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Our Water Broke...we are having a baby!!

The time has come, the moment we have been waiting for in this 16 month long process...WE GOT THE CALL!!!! Christy from AAC called and said, "your daughter is ready for travel"...words we have been waiting to hear since day one! Oh my gosh it is really here. We are going to travel to Korea and bring home our precious little Ava. We are soooooooooooooo excited!!

AAC called home first but both Adam and I had already left for work. Christy called Adam at work around 8:50 a.m. I had rode my bike to work and was just walking in the door around 9:00 a.m. when my cell phone rang. I quickly looked down to see if it was AAC, it wasn't, it came up as unavailable. I almost wasn't going to answer it as I was sitting at my desk in this quiet, office setting but something lead me to open up the phone and say, "hello." It was Adam on the other end elated as he said those magical words, "Christy called, Ava is ready to travel!" My heart stopped and my water must have broke cuz tears just started streaming down my face. Sky, one of my office friends, came over as asked, "good news?" I said, "YES!" We hugged, I cried more then the rest of the office gathered 'round and we all celebrated this joyful moment. Joan then looked at me and said, "GO!" So I hurried and gathered my things, changed back into my riding gear and peddled as fast as I could to get home to call the travel agent...we were headed to Korea.

6 hours later the travel arrangements were made. The ticketing process made me feel like I was in labor as I was feeling a lot of pain and having trouble breathing a few times throughout the process, like when the travel agent called and said that my ticket was issued, Ava's ticket was issued but Adam's ticket wouldn't go through...WHAT?? you must be kidding their should be no problem with funds, the account should have plenty of dough in it. Shaking my head in disbelief, our travel agent with two phones to her ear, I call my bank to see what was up. I now have two phones to my ear, the agent on the East Coast has had a long day and is ending her shift now pushing into OT, with her phone to her ear. My bank tells me their is a spending limit per day on my card and I have reached the maximum so I have to wait to purchase Adam's ticket till tomorrow...OMG lady did you just hear what I said, we are adopting from Korea I am purchasing airline tickets and I need to be able to access all my funds in my account right now!! "I am sorry Ms. there is nothing I can do you will just have to purchase the other ticket tomorrow." With my heart now stopped and tears on the verge of falling, I asked to speak with a manager immediately. By this time we all have so many different conversations going that the bank's "on-hold" music is actually kinda soothing at this point. The manager gets on the phone, I reiterate my spiel and she says there is nothing she can do to increase the spending limit, but that I could use the other cardholders card for the ticket purchase. Click. I hung up with her and immediately called Adam to get his card info. Ring, ring ring he is not picking up. Mean while the East Coast agent is now getting a little impatient. I think to myself, "Crap, what is his blackberry number?" It is just so automatic to access his number through my Contacts on my cell. I run up stairs rummage through my wallet no number. I am on my cell phone but I gingerly push buttons to get to my Contacts without disconnecting my life line to Korea! It worked. I found his number. He finally answers his phone. He read off his card number... it went from him, through me, through my travel agent then into the ear of our patient East Coast ticketing agent saint. Whew, confirmation Houston we have purchase. Word to the wise or the adopting, some credit cards have purchase limits per day for "security" reasons...no where in 'What To Expect The First Year" or "The Ultimate Insiders Guide To Adoption"did I read that my credit card might have a daily spending limit, so be weary when purchasing airline tickets or any big ticket items. My epidural to all other adopting families...call a head and find out BEFORE hand what your daily limits are to avoid unnecessary labor pains :-)

So after that excitement and fear I was traveling to Korea alone our best friends Chris and Ann brought over a much needed six-pack and Asian take out. A perfect ending to a perfect day!

As we woke up this morning it dawned on us that tonight would be the last night in our bed, in our house, alone (except for Lily of course :-) a moment we have been waiting for for years!

We are leaving for Korea tomorrow (June 4) and will return Wednesday evening ( June 11). We will try and update this blog on the trip so stay tuned for exciting news and new pictures.

"Thank You" to everyone for all your love and support this past year and a half. We don't want to say or think that the journey is finally coming to an end but that the journey is only beginning. We have been traveling pretty steadily down the straight path of life's road now we are heading towards the Y in the road and have decided we are are going to see what lye's to the right...or will it be the left? Whatever direction we decide to head we are sure that is it going to be a big, big change. Like Barack Obama says, " It Is Time For Change." We couldn't agree more :-)

We had better get to packing...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, praise God!!!! Congratulations, Perry's!!!!!!!! We are beyond thrilled for you and we can't wait to follow your blog while you're in Korea and to finally see pictures of the three of you together at last!!
Love,
Chris and Kelly

Unknown said...

WE ARE SO THRILLED FOR YOU!!!! Just think of the stories you already have to tell your sweet baby girl!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!
Love,
Jill and Carl

April Crosser said...

Congrats!!! We are soooo excited for you guys and can't wait to meet your little angel. Have a safe trip and give us a call when you're ready for visiters.

Love,
The Crossers